SHS/BCS TOURNAMENT RULES
Catch 15 Weigh 10
[important]click HERE for printable version of RULES.[/important]
[important]click HERE for printable REGISTRATION form.[/important]
These Rules are for the joint tournament between the South Haven and Battle Creek Chapters of the MSSFA for the Merle Morris Memorial (SHS) and Big Lake Memorial (BCS) with picnic after weigh-in.
- Time: 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., unless advised differently by Tournament Control. Cancellations will be announced one half hour before start time.
- If tournament cannot begin by 10:00am, it will be postponed until the following day. 100% of entry fees will be refunded if the tournament and picnic are canceled.
- Tournament is on a Saturday. (SUNDAY WILL BE ALTERNATE WEATHER DAY)
- All entries and fees due by 6:00 a.m. before tournament begins at Pyle’s Bait Shop except if otherwise noted. Phone entries accepted, (Tournament Control Only).
- At least one M.S.S.F.A. Chapter member with current year’s dues paid must be aboard.
- You may leave the pier head at 5:00 a.m. Any boat in a tournament observed fishing by a committee member before 6:00 a.m. will be disqualified. (Lines in water).
- No radio or communication restrictions for this tournament.
- All DNR Rules apply. Observers are not required.
- You may fish a maximum of NINE rods per D.N.R. rules providing you have enough licenses on board to do so. You may only catch up to a 3 person D.N.R. limit providing you have enough licenses on board to do so. Once 15 fish are boated, fishing must cease! No culling will be allowed. You may only weigh-in 10 fish (2 man DNR limit).
- Fish counts will be at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., no penalties issued for failure to answer.
- All fish counts and tournament control will operate on channel #78. PLEASE CALL IN.
- Weigh-in is at the River Bend Boat Club unless otherwise noted. Tournament coolers must be at the weigh-in line 1 ½ hours after fishing period ends. IF NOT IN WEIGH-IN LINE, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- All Tournament Participants will be required that you leave from the Port of South Haven Pier head on the day of the Tournament and return to that same Port unless otherwise noted.
- Five prize categories entered: Steelhead, Brown, Lake Trout, Salmon & total weight.
- Scoring: Prizes for 1st & 2nd places total weight for each Chapter and for 1st & 2nd places total weight overall between the two Chapters; total weight is determined by 10 points per fish plus a point a pound to the nearest hundreds. 1st & 2nd places in each of the four species categories will be determined by weight only and is based on entries from both Chapters.
- Prize monies split: To be determined based on entries. Base percentage for each category will be divided 65% for 1st & 35% for 2nd. 2 fish in each category must be weighed for 1st & 2nd place prize money. Entrants are allowed only 1 entry per category. Any ties for places, Monies will be split.
- Entry Fee is $20/person and due by August 1st. After August 1st, Entry Fee is $25/person for each of the first three persons on boat and $10 for each additional person starting at four and up.
- Entry Fee Distribution: See table below.
- Entry Fee covers steak lunch with all the trimmings and beverages.
- When registering, please note how many persons will be on your boat and how many (if any) additional will be attending the picnic. If you only want to attend the picnic, you will still need to register like the tournament participants.
- EACH CAPTAIN IS ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFETY OF HIS/HER CREW AND VESSEL
ENTRY FEE DISTRIBUTION TABLE
|entry fee per person||$20.00||$20.00|
25% OF TOTAL ENTRIES WILL GO TO FOOD COSTS.
35% OF TOTAL ENTRIES WILL BE A COMBINED CHAPTER PAYOUT.
40% OF TOTAL ENTRIES IS CHAPTER SPECIFIC.
Cost is $40/per boat (2 persons @ $20 each), $20 for third person and $5 for each additional person for food. You can register at Pyle’s Porthole in South Haven or with the Battle Creek tournament chair.
Examples: By August 1st After August 1st
Boat with 2 people is $40 $50
Boat with 3 people is $60 $75
Boat with 4 people is $65 $85
Boat with 5 people is $70 $95
Boat with 6 people is $75 $105
NOTE: The South Haven and Battle Creek tournament committees met in December of 2014 to work out the details and these rules are a result of that collaboration.
Common Questions asked:
1. Why is there an early entry deadline? A: To have an idea on food quantity needed.
2. Why is the tournament fishing time from 6-1? A: To accommodate those that are travelling long distances, trailering their boats so they can have time on the water that is worth their effort.
3. Why are there different payouts for each Chapter? A: Battle Creek uses a portion of their tournament entry fees as a Chapter fundraiser whereas South Haven does not. However, 35% of all entries will be joint Chapter pay-out.
4. What if I don’t want to eat after the tournament? A: You don’t have to, but persons 1,2 and 3 from each team still pay the entire entry fee. The purpose of the minimal cost for the fourth person and beyond is so if those folks want to eat or if family members that are not fishing but are attending the picnic want to eat or if any club member who is not fishing wants to join the picnic and eat, we have those costs covered too.
5. Why is the cost $40/boat and an additional $20 for a third person? A: The tournament rules allow you to catch 15 fish. However, some boats can only accommodate 2 persons who are limited to 10 fish. Having a third person allows the team to sort their best 10 fish and it is only fair to have to pay for that advantage.
6. If I register after the deadline, where does the additional money go? A: The late fee will be included as part of the entry fee distribution table.
7. What is the purpose of this tournament? A: The purpose of the tournament is to honor all departed Steelheader members, foster multi-Chapter cooperation and just provide a fun, low cost event for members to get together, enjoy some fishing and have an afternoon picnic.